and I only have 2 more years to do them….
Turning 68 this past December gave me cause to stop and think…I only have 2 more years before I turn 70. That just seems incredible to me…wasn’t I just 7? How did this happen so fast, where has the time gone? Mom always said the older you get the faster the time goes…and Mom was right. I have done a lot the past 68 years of my life but there is so much more I want to do, so I decided to write a list. I know I have written bucket lists before and I will again, but right now at this moment in my life these are the 10 things I want to do before I turn the ripe old age of 70. It hurts to even type that!
Here they are….
1. Go horseback riding – I have talked about this and talked about this…but I have never done it. My nieces and my daughter have discussed us doing this together. I don’t care who does it with me…I want to do this before I’m too old to bounce back if I fall off. And doing it on a beach is preferable…
2. Visit all 50 states – I have been to at least 20 I think. I have stopped over in several others during lay overs, but not sure if you can count that or not. Also I have driven through some on the way to other states…can you count them? But I would like to see them all. I could maybe do without North and South Dakota if I have to…just kidding.. Can you say road trip? Or maybe a train across the US…how much fun would that be? Anyone want to go along?
3. Do things I have never done before – Maybe try something new each and every month. I have always tried to learn new things but I seem to have stopped lately. So I am going to try to do this again. Horseback riding can be one of them.. maybe in a state I have never visited before.
4. Write a book – This has been on my bucket list since I was 12 years old but I want to make a deadline for it to happen now. I never did that before. I will write a book before I turn 70!
5. Fulfill a dream – Going to Paris is a dream I have had as long as I had the writing a book thing…maybe I could write a book about my trip to Paris! We need to live our dreams, not just dream them.
“To be 70 years young is sometimes far more cheerful and hopeful than to be 40 years old.” ~ Oliver Wendall Holmes
6. See a band I have always loved and never saw – Well that would be The Beatles, but that isn’t going to happen so I need to see Paul and maybe Ringo..but definitely Paul. I also want to throw in here …to see as many bands and singers as possible since so many of them are passing away each and every day!
7. Dance like no one is watching – And let me just say…I’m pretty sure no one will be… I really want to dance again..I have said this so many times but I really need to do this again before I turn 70. Hopefully sometime this year. There really aren’t that many places to go dancing these days…at least to music I can dance to…or know who is singing the songs that are playing.
8. Read more books – I have tried to read a book a week and have been falling short lately. Last year I think I really did read one a week or almost. It helps me fall asleep and relaxes me before bed time. I have read where it helps boost your brain power, reduces stress and improves your memory. I’m not sure if it does all of that or not but it can’t hurt. Thank goodness I’m reading since I can’t remember anything lately…just think what would happen if I wasn’t… I have always loved reading but I do even more now.
9. Spend more time with family and friends – I really have been doing this but want to do it even more. I have cousins I haven’t seen in ages except at funerals…it would be nice to get together with them and have some fun together. My friends keep me going and are always there to listen when I need them. I don’t honestly know what I would have done without them the past year and a half. I want to make it a thing to get together with a family member or a friend at least once a week. And I want to have gathering of the family I have left before I turn 70.
10. Design my own line of jewelry – I have made jewelry before and I really enjoyed it. I haven’t done it for several years now and I really want to do it again. It relaxes me and makes me feel like I am accomplishing something. I have a few ideas in mind for a cool line of jewelry and want to tie it into something that will honor my son. He was a jeweler at one point in his life. He designed jewelry and repaired jewelry. He loved it! And it was something he spoke about maybe doing again right before he died. So I think he would love it if I did this. In fact I know he would.
Well that’s my “10 things I want to do before I turn 70.” I may not get each and every one of them completely checked off by then but I’m going try my best. What are some things you have always wanted to do but haven’t… maybe giving yourself a deadline would help.
“There is a fountain of youth: It is your mind, your talents, the creativity you bring to your life and the lives of people you love. When you learn to tap this source, you will truly have defeated age.” ~ Sophia Loren
32 thoughts on “10 Things I Want To Do Before I Turn 70”
# 1 on your list is very doable….Why don’t you put it out there on FB? I bet one of your”friends” might have some horses and would be happy to help you with that. if not, there are stables around, or take a cheap trip to the Dominican Republic..I think they have horses you can ride on a beach.Dave and I rode on the beaches in Antigua…Here’s a more local link:http://ococean.com/things-to-do/recreational/horseback-riding/holly-ridge-equestrian-center,-llc But your last thing making jewelry, something you have already done, would be a wonderful way to keep that connection with your son..and I would wager your creations would be “inspired”.
Thanks Marg…I am going to do them…I want to start the jewelry, but need to wait till my daughter gets all her stuff off my jewelry making desk….LOL…and the horse thing…I will do this spring or summer…I will be writing about all the things i get checked off my list! Thanks for your support!
You’re an inspiration to me. The enthusiasm and honesty in your writing shines through. Your attitude is one of a young soul.
Aw Evelyn your comments made me smile! It has been a rough day so thank you!
When I was around 65 I was giving the opportunity to start blogging. I had always dreamed of writing but the possibility of seeing those words in “print” was the thing that pushed me forward. Of all the things I see on your list, I think designing the jewelry must be your dream. I hope, for your sake, that dream can come true. 🙂 I included you in my post yesterday. Come over and see it!
Barbara thank you so much for the kind comments! The jewelry is definitely my dream! I will check out your post! Thanks again!
That’s a great list! If you need a nudge on getting started on that book, let me know! I can help! I’m just a couple of years behind you, but I finally wrote a book (that got published!) in 2016, and started tap dancing a year ago! Didn’t get to Paris until I was fifty… so keep that list in front of you as inspiration. Who knows? Maybe you’ll get ’em all checked off!
Risa, Thank you! That is awesome you are tap dancing…I will keep trying to accomplish everything on my list and I will keep you in mind for starting my book too!
Perhaps you can find an air b&b in Paris, write a book while you’re there, invite friends to visit, and make sure you dance in the streets in the early morning going to find the best croissant around! Sounds like a beautiful plan! Good luck on your journey…
Sounds like an awesome idea Margaret! Lets go!
Your list is really aggressive. Good for you. Best of luck fulfilling it…and…you can’t go wrong traveling by train. I love trains!!
Thanks Peg! And I love trains too, so much more relaxing than a car or plane…
I too love your list, and I truly hope you have the pleasure of doing them all.
Thank you Karen and I’m sure you all will hear about my adventures in future blog posts..
This is a great list. You’d better get started on the other 30 States. I don’t do too well with reading either , which is quite ironic being that I’m a blogger, but oh well! Best of luck with crossing out all those items. May all of your dreams and bucket list items come true.
Thank you Brittany! And yes I better get started on the other states…but it could be a quick drive through or train ride looking out the window. And you get started on reading more books!
Didn’t do it yesterday. Got to do it today. I’ve just got to!
Just do it! 🙂
What a great list! Not sure where you live, but maybe dancing on a dinner cruise? We went on one with my parent’s-in-law on the Potomac River and the music was great. They danced all evening – in their late 70s. Hope you get to do all or at least most of what’s on your list.
Great idea…Lori, but I would need to find a partner to do the cruise dancing thing..and I live in MD.. so close to the Potomac..and thanks I hope I do too!
What a great list! I would love a few of them too except the horseback riding.
Thanks Haralee! I am kinda scared of the horseback riding but its something I have always wanted to do.
I’m with you on the horseback on the beach, the Paris, and even the book. Not sure I want to go to a concert these days, but this makes me think about my own list and how it’s sitting collecting dust.
thanks Elaine, I still love live concerts…I go with my daughter so its great bonding time together! and get cracking on your list!
Wow! Quite the list! I’m with you on how quickly time has passed! For right now, I’m going day to day and if I wake up healthy, it’s a good day!
Yep, weren’t we just in elementary school..I am with you on the waking up thing…but I have a lot I want to do and need to get started…
good luck sweetie..since iI’ll be 71 next month, no list from me….just wanna live and be healthy enough to do what might come up!! Losing wayy too many friends (and famiky) these days. Love ya. Find that New Marlboro man riding that horse 💟💟💟
Thanks Susie! I hear ya! I have lost so many and who knows how long we all have so I want to do the things I have been wanting to do…and not sure about the Marlboro Man…LOL..
I’m with you! Well no, I’d skip the horseback riding. Been there, done that. Good luck with all ten!
Thank you Linda! Glad you did the horseback ride already! I can’t wait…
What a bucket list you have before hitting 70. Riding horseback on a beach would be quite a thrill except for the person who has to follow you. Visiting all 50 states would be grand. I bet you would spend more time in Hawaii than Alaska and as for the Dakotas there is a hotel named that in NYC. Could Paris, Texas be a apt substitute for Paris, France? Probably not except that both places speak a foreign language. Writing a book would be fun but one has to decide what it will be about. Watching concerts of aging rock stars is a must since Neil Diamond and Elton John are bowing out. Try a symphony of Mozart or Beethoven. You do not have to worry about hearing them before they died. Seeing family and friends is a definite must and a great addition to your list. Hope that you can achieve these and many more. Remember, 70 is the new 35. i read that in a book.
Wow, I thought 70 was the new 50, so I am even younger than I thought! I do have a lot to do don’t I? I better get started…Thanks Andy!